Friday 9 April 2010

Decidedly shabby......



Looking at other wonderful mini sites and trying to work out what I could do with the main house that I have, I've decided to go for a shabby chic theme. It's not going to be perfect as I'm not sure the house is proper 1/12th scale (I must get my ruler out and measure the rooms), but I can have fun making it look a bit better and hopefully it's something that my DD will enjoy when she is a bit older.


I'm not up to the standard of making my own furniture, although I think it more comes down to the fact that I'm not sure I'm brave enough to try (yet). We also don't have a Micheal's in the UK or, from what I can make out, an equivalent so I've resorted to looking for bargains on ebay to experiment with. This is what I have won so far -


As I bought them in 'lots' the actual cost per item (including shipping) was less than £1, so I really don't mind painting them and seeing what I can do with them.



My first 'victim' isn't in this picture as I have already started revamping it. It's a sweet little dressing table. Once I have done a bit more with it I will post the 'before' and 'after' photographs (hopefully there will be an improvement!).


P.S Is this a side effect of miniatures LOL? Starting different projects before finishing the first ?!?




6 comments:

  1. I am very pleased that you have chosen a Shabby style. It is a very nice and beautiful style. Fornitures are pretty, and prices too! I use dissolvent or turpentine previously to painting, and then very thin sandpaper, especially on edges. I am looking forward to seeing the picures of your "tuning" fornitures. Best regards.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Carmen, and thank you for the tip. I only sanded it before I started painting but the wood stain is coming through the paint so I will go back and use turpentine on it.
    I'm so glad I picked the Shabby style, you are right there is so much beautiful furniture and accessories, I am sure I am going to have lots of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello there, thanks for following my blog. I'm now following yours and am so glad.

    This is going to be fun to watch your process. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Dale, Thank you for following and welcome. I'm really enjoying doing this although progress is very slow at the moment with the Easter holidays. Hopefully I should have more to post soon. Emma :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I think this is such a great idea! Redoing furniture can be such fun, and you're right, it's a great way to save money.

    And, yes, from what I can tell, doing several projects at once is all a part of being obsessed with our little worlds :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, I do believe doing a few projects at one time is a side effect of being a miniaturist.

    I was working on one project today, went to get fabric for it and then pulled out something else entirely different and started working on that.

    It's an obsession!!! :)

    ReplyDelete